Sunday, June 6, 2021

Titanic Exhibit

 I am a huge history nerd and love the Titanic. I loved the movie (totally had a crush on Leonardo Dicaprio at the time) and read a lot of information about the Titanic. So when we decided to head to Las Vegas for a friend's birthday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRADLEY!!!) Hubby bought tickets for us to go see the Titanic exhibit at the Luxor hotel. It was amazing and everything I hoped for. I loved it and if you are heading to Las Vegas then I totally suggest you check it out: Titanic Exhibit


Hubby and I got to take pictures on the boat in the Jack and Rose pose as well as on the grand staircase (which is beautiful). When we arrived we each got a boarding pass with information of an actual person that was on the Titanic. Then at the end of the exhibit you got to see if the person whose ticket you have survived or died. 


It started with information about how the boat was made and designed. It was incredibly interesting to see all of the information. 

One of the best parts was seeing the big piece, a piece of the hull that was pulled up from the bottom of the ocean. It was incredibly moving and it gave me chills. I sat in the room with it for awhile just soaking in this amazing piece of history. If I could have sat there the whole day I would have done so in a heartbeat. 



They also had a large model built to show what the shipwreck looks like on the bottom of the ocean. To know that they were able to see it and picture it and recreate it was amazing. 


I found the au gratin dishes interesting. Not sure if you can read what the placard says, but the dishes were still in the cabinet in the bottom of the ocean until the would rotted away leaving the dishes standing in the sand in rows. 
Another area that was amazing was the recreation of the promenade deck. It was life size, you could stand and look at the stars. It shows how dark and still it was the night of the iceberg. There was no moon and no waves making it impossible to see anything out there. But the stars were lovely and the deck was calming. I could have spend hours sitting there just staring at the stars. 
There is still champagne in that bottle. It survived a shipwreck and being on the bottom of the ocean now sitting in a glass case with liquid inside. 
During the exhibit they show the differences between staying in third class and first class in the boat. Hubby and I joked about them since I was given the boarding pass of a third class passenger and Hubby had a first class boarding pass. This is a recreation of a first class room. While third class had bunks and a total of two baths to share for over seven hundred people. 

There were tons of dishes and silverware to be shown from all the classes on the ship. There were articles of clothing, perfume samples and even postcards that have been recovered. I loved every moment of this exhibit and learned so much interesting aspects that I hadn't known before. Even Hubby who isn't a history nerd like me enjoyed the exhibit. If your curious about the passengers we had, I survived while Hubby's passenger died. 

Anybody else a history nerd like me? What is your favorite exhibit? What was your favorite thing to do in Las Vegas? Got any suggestions on other awesome exhibits to see? 

Until next time, I am just going to bask in the wonder of some history on this journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment